Saturday, October 13, 2007

The best day...

The Mermaid and I were productive today.

We spent the morning running around town looking for gingerbread mix and Halloween costumes. The former was non-existent (and thus became replaced with spiced cake mix) but inspiration for the latter was found in the parking lot at JoAnn.

After parking and before entering, we prepped ourselves for the daunting challenge of spending less than 3 hours at JoAnn (my parents had lunch waiting) by picking through the weekly flier. As we flipped through the pages, what did we see? A little girl in a mermaid costume smiling back at me (well "us" but "me" rhymes)! Says Lauren, "I could be a mermaid." Says Yin, "We could make that!" Done and done!

Walking into the store, the first bolt of fabric we saw was a blue, shimmery fish scale cloth perfect for a mermaid tail. It was like a sign from above! We were off. Our one hitch was being too poor to buy the actual pattern, so we bought a $1.99 skirt pattern and improvised. I thing our version turned out better. It has a purse in the tail fin. Yeah, THAT'S right. We should be pattern designers.

In other news, I made a sweatsuit with an aeroplane on it. Woot! This was my first attempt at making something with sleeves without using a pattern. I think it turned out just fine!
When I get home I will embroider some quirky French saying under the little plane, like "J'adore voyager." (Mr. Blog bought me a fantastic embroidery machine for my birthday!)

Mkay, time to ice spiced cookies!

No comments: